After weeks of asking for warmer weather, it would seem we have turned a corner and we finally have some growth to help smooth out the greens.
Our spring renovations were carried out during April and, after the application of granular fertilizer there were signs of a good recovery. . . . . .until we were halted in our tracks by a succession of frosts and cold nights. The result: bumpy greens and the usual frustrations of differing growth rates between the Poa and Agrostis grasses. To help alleviate the symptoms of this we have been gently brushing the greens and we have also carried out another topdressing application, along with another feed. We feel that now we are seeing better growing conditions that we are now through the worst and we look forward to producing some smoother surfaces.
|Tree canopy lifted by 14th green|
It was a very fun evening and this really helps to present our course at its best, there is nothing worse than having to play out of a divot.
Following the divot evening, we have set up a divot bag system. You may have noticed a big black container that has been moving its way around the course at different tees, inside this container are our divot bags. We would be very pleased if when you are playing, you could pick out a divot bag and fill in your divots as you enjoy your round. There is another container for empty divot bags on the 18th, near the flagpole. Thanks to those who have started using them they are already making a difference on the fairways.
Our tees and aprons continue to improve with the use of our old greens mowers. With brushes and groomers fitted, these mowers have really improved the texture and presentation of these surfaces.
Efforts to top up sand in bunkers are ongoing and we are now using a coarser sand in our green-side bunkers due to issues with sourcing the sand used previously. The sand we are now using is the same as we use in the fairway bunkers so the bunkers will also be more uniform.